(SPOILERS)
It all starts with a light, funny story on your screen—a good time.
After a while, you realize there are a lot of secrets and half-told stories. The fun, crazy mother hides a story of pain and a lawless past. The perfect little town is anything but perfect. And Ginny (Antonia Gentry)… well, she's a hard-working kid, but she's very annoying sometimes. I’m sorry, Ginny’s fans.
Gilmore Girls’ vibe
It has a Gilmore Girls feeling since the beginning - with a funnier and more criminal mom. Indeed, in the first episode, Georgia (Brianne Howey) makes that exact reference.
While it seemed accurate at the time, I changed my mind as the story developed. Ginny is way more prone to tantrums than Rory. She is way more problematic than you might think at first sight. Yet, the character has a good impact, but let me warn you: you may want to hug her one second and yell at her the next.
Self-mutilation
Teen shows are getting darker and darker, which is, in fact, quite scary. This one is no different. While Ginny and Georgia isn't exactly a teen show, it has a big teen cast, and it tackles a lot of problems.
Feelings are complicated. Especially when you are still trying to figure out who you are and understand that crazy world around you (you never truly do, but you make peace with it).
Self-mutilation appears in the show. It isn't very frequent because of the impact it can have on younger viewers. Saying that, the first time it appears in the show, I thought they were bold. Yet, the topic that seems more important here is actually neglected. It seems that the producers are saying, “I just want to let you know that she does that.” Well, I don’t think you can approach such an important and complex topic this way. Maybe they’ll be addressing it on better terms next season.
Too dark, too light
Self-mutilation is not the only topic where I felt this flaw. The way they approached some subjects is too light, too simple. A serious, burdensome matter such as self-mutilation deserved more. Not to mention murder. It seems like nothing! I mean, I can understand Georgia’s impulse. Yet you can’t show something like that and make it seem like just another day in the office….
Another situation that made me feel uneasy is that Georgia mostly ignores Austin’s (Diesel La Torraca) behavior - he stabs a classmate with a pencil! That is pretty serious (even a bit scary), and she acts as if it was nothing. She is too involved in hiding her own crimes, I guess.
Excess of references with no depth
The main critique of this show is the excess of references. We are not only talking about Gilmore Girls, which is the most obvious one, but if you pay attention, there are more. That's fine, of course; usually, those references are a source of humor, but in this case, they are only… references. Nothing else. They don’t add anything to the show.
The same happens with many of the topics the show approaches. They are not developed. They are mentioned, and that’s it. I expected more.
Still, the show can be engaging, and eventually you'll care about the characters. It seems the production is preparing something closer to a crime show for the next season. Let’s wait to see how that goes.

Comments
Post a Comment