Three best friends fight for their dreams in New York City. No ambition is impossible or problem unbearable when they have each other’s support. It is a light, irreverent show that will often bring a smile to your face.
Same issues, different women
The issues they face aren’t new - sex, romantic relationships, friendships, career moves. You watch these modern, independent, strong millennial women fighting for every inch of their conquests.
Watching the first episode, I thought it would be one more “girly show”. You know - sex life, drama, and friends. It’s a bit more, and I loved it.
The first season felt like an introduction to these women and their world. It is a way for us to know them. Who are they? How’s their life? How do they work? Then, the story evolves; they change; they build their own path. That’s when the actual story begins. That’s when they become the bold type.
Inspiration and romance
As a writer who fights every day to find my own voice, I found Jane’s (Katie Stevens) character truly inspiring, but I love all of them.
In one episode, Kat’s (Aisha Dee) character said something like, “It’s not about the story but about the conversation it starts.” Maybe not in those exact words; I can’t recall, but that was the idea. It was a strong statement that summarizes much of what happens in this show. Congratulations to the writers for the topics. They approached many meaningful discussions.
Naturally, I’m pretty sure that real magazine writers and other staff don’t have that much free time for closet conversations and walking around town in the middle of the day. Yet, that makes everything even more fun.
Jane, Kat, and ‘Red’ (Meghann Fahy). Each one of them has their own problems, but they are there for each other. I love that they take turns manipulating the conversation. It’s delicious. But they are not the only ones making the show. Let's not forget about Jacqueline (Melora Hardin). She is a remarkable character who enriches the story. One of my favorites.
Of course, there is a downside as well. To keep the story going, there are a lot of comings and goings with Scarlet. That can be annoying, but nothing is perfect, right?
Millennial irreverence
Taking serious, current topics and working them in a light, accessible way (without ignoring their importance) is the show's leverage. That, plus the characters' general good mood and optimism.
The Bold Type is definitely worth your time.

Comments
Post a Comment