Skip to main content

DC League of Super-Pets - Review

 


Once your kid overcomes the Paw Patrol phase, you can stop pretending you're too grown-up to watch cartoons. 

I'm always up to a good animation movie and, last week, we decided to go to the movies and watch DC League of Super-Pets. The little one was bothering us for a while to watch it. I wasn't expecting much of the film, I'm not a superhero kind of person, but I liked it. It is a fun movie!

The shelter

At the movie's beginning, most pets from the league are in a shelter. You have an interesting couple of scenes there. The kittens never stay there for long. I got curious to know, in reality, what the stats say about this.

The animals are sad, despite being well treated, and all the shelter workers seem to be fond of them. It is a subtle but important lesson to the viewer. 

Lulu

One of the animals in the shelter is Lulu, a guinea pig with no fur, which seems absolutely crazy. Well, she is. Lulu is the big villain in the movie, a funny one.

Also, it took me a while to realize what kind of animal she was. Was I the only one?

Fun, light tone, superhero movie

The movie is not exactly a revolution. There's nothing new about it, but it is fun, and you can have a good time watching.

It is good for kids, but also for you - many jokes are lost for them. I read that it has a lot of swearing. There is none in the Portuguese version (the only one I watched so far). I assume it was a translating choice, so I can't evaluate that.

Is it a good movie?

After reading a couple of reviews, I concluded that people expect too much of kids' movies. They are supposed to provide fun and a good time, not necessarily teach life-changing lessons.

I don't think the movie gives you something new or absolutely unexpected, but I liked and recommend it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmaid’s Tale – From Brilliant to Frustrating

  When The Handmaid’s Tale first aired, it felt sharp, terrifying, and painfully necessary. I wrote about the first season as a dark and brilliant adaptation, one that used restraint, symbolism, and dread to tell its story. Now that I've finished the third season, my opinion has shifted — not wholly, but noticeably. The show is still good . Sometimes very good. But it also became frustrating, uneven, and less powerful than it could have been. June Osborne: From Survivor to Exhaustion Let’s talk about June (Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men ). I understand the idea behind her arc. She was meant to evolve — to become more confident, more assertive, more dangerous. A woman shaped by trauma who stops surviving and starts fighting back. On paper, it makes sense. On screen, however, it often doesn’t work. June becomes reckless to the point of irresponsibility. She repeatedly puts others in danger without seeming to fully care about who might be caught in the crossfire. Her actions feel impuls...

Grief in the Shadows: Why 'The Silencing' Stands Out

  A moody thriller about grief, violence, and how far we go for the ones we love. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ( Game of Thrones ) is Rayburn Swanson , a former hunter who now lives in isolation, running a wildlife sanctuary named after his missing daughter. Years after she vanished, Rayburn is just barely functioning—haunted, grieving, and clinging to the hope that she might still return. When a murdered girl turns up in the woods with eerie similarities to his daughter's disappearance, the local sheriff, Alice Gustafson ( Annabelle Wallis ), launches an investigation. Rayburn, meanwhile, accidentally crosses paths with a mysterious masked figure hunting a girl on his land. This encounter pulls him into the heart of the case in ways he never expected. The investigation twists, misleads, and slowly unravels, building toward a reveal that isn’t obvious—and intentionally so. Nothing is as straightforward as it seems. Themes of Grief and Family What makes The Silencing compelling is...

Gangsta Granny – Hilarious and Surprisingly Moving

  I have a ten-year-old daughter, and one thing we like to do is read the same books so we can talk about them afterward. Gangsta Granny was a birthday gift for her, and she read it so quickly that it immediately made me curious. When a child finishes a book that fast, you know something is working. When I finally read it myself, I was pleasantly surprised — and completely charmed. A Story That Is Funny and Moving At first glance, Gangsta Granny is a crazy, over-the-top, and very funny story. David Walliams clearly knows how to make children laugh, using absurd situations, exaggerated characters, and a fast-moving plot that keeps young readers hooked. But beneath the humour, the book is also sweet, touching, and emotionally rich. What starts as a wild adventure slowly reveals a story about family, loneliness, empathy, and learning to truly see the people around us. This balance reminded me of Roald Dahl’s books , where outrageous humour and emotional depth coexist effortles...