Skip to main content

Why is the “This is Us” season finale as perfect as disappointing?

 


Although it was a very emotional and beautiful one, season 6 is the end of the Pearsons’ story, and it was very moving in many ways.

This season was about learning how to move on and accept things. These things are the divorce, the disease, or death itself, and keep living and being resilient.

Time Jump

While it was, without a doubt, a very beautiful finale, something about that time jump bothers me. It was too sudden, and it felt like its only purpose was to end the story. They just wanted to get over it and move on.

I felt like this because the whole show was so detailed. It was all about the little things, those little things that make us… us. The little things that tell our story!

When you look back on your life, the memories you value the most are usually about these little things, and the show was able to recreate that so perfectly. So why this rush to finish it?

Life in its different moments

This show was able to make us care about this family. We met them in different moments of their lives, and even with the go back and forward, it never felt artificial. It worked perfectly.

Usually, things get more complicated when you’re trying to show different time frames simultaneously. Yet, in this case, it was so well done and built that it made it perfect. Perhaps, that’s the reason this time jump was disappointing to me.

I felt like we should have another season. Things should have gone slower. 

The protagonist

This is Us was always about the family. Their relationship and how that group of people became a family. Yet, this choice makes us feel that the protagonist is Rebecca. Well, Jack and Rebecca, but mostly her.

I don’t see it this way. For me, the protagonist is the whole family, Rebecca, Jack, Kevin, Kate, and Randal. The fact that it all ends up with Rebecca’s death kind of changes that.

At the same time, I wish we could see what happened in that time-lapse or even the years after Rebecca’s departure, the moving scenes of the goodbyes were so touching and sweet that it was perfect to end the show.

The right moment

Despite my mixed feelings, this was a good end for the show. What I criticize the most about plenty of shows is their inability to know when to stop. They keep extending the story over and over until you can’t take it anymore. This is Us knew when it was time to stop. It’s better to leave your audience missing you than sick of you!

So they had to make a choice, and they ended the story with the end of a cycle. It’s an excellent show, a nice piece of entertainment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s