Skip to main content

La casa de papel (Money Heist) - Season 3




The fans of the show were waiting this season for a long time. I, personally, had the feeling that it should have ended in the second one. Maybe I was right.

I know, I know! You all loved it, but I have mixed feelings about it. I didn’t find the first couple of episodes that interesting. It took longer than it should, to get into the action, and the omnipresence of the professor is going a bit too far. But let’s see the ups and downs of this season.

(If you did not watch this season yet, consider stop reading. Spoilers ahead.)


Rio’s Mistake


As annoying as it can be, Rio’s mistake is quite realistic. There is no perfect crime, and there is always someone who doesn’t follow the rules.

I found it a rational choice of action to get a new storyline. 


New characters


In this season we have new characters, and I loved them. Palermo is, somehow, the new Berlin and he brings new dramas and conflicts inside the group, which enriches the story.

However, Alicia was the best play of the season. She is that kind of villain that makes you angry. You hate her; you despise her, or, I don’t know, you find her fascinating. What you don’t feel is indifference. It’s impossible.

Alicia’s pregnancy was also a curious detail choice. The idea of emotion and fragility usually associated with such a state shocks with Alicia's movements' during the show. However, except for that, there are no significant references to the pregnancy, the baby, or even her personal life, which I liked because it cuts with some pretty basic cliches. 


The return of Berlin


Berlin was a fantastic character. He brought a philosophical level to the groups’ actions in the previous seasons, becoming some symbol of resistance. 

His death at the end of the previous season was devastating for many fans, but the production found a way of putting him back into the story. The new plan of the group is an old plan of him, and he appears many times throughout the episodes in flashbacks.


Robbing the bank of Spain


With the new megalomaniac plan, the production lowered the level of realism that conquered so many fans. The professor always seems to have an answer or guess all the movements. Sure, he studied everything with an unbelievable level of detail and has Raquel by his side. Even so, it’s a little bit too much. 

However, there was the decision of letting Raquel being caught by the police. It made it more realistic — one more positive point for the production.

Another thing that bothered me was that the authorities take very… let’s say strange decisions for a first-world developed country. You can think that it’s not very convincing, or you can be quite scared if you believe that such things could happen.

The positive points were, with no doubt, the anti-system message (loved by the fans) and the unpredictability of situations which most of the time surprise us. Also, the humor present in many scenes makes Money Heist quite enjoyable, even in moments of tension.

About Nairobi’s fate, I have to say: “Noooo!” 

The last episode of this season shows that it will be a new one, and now we can’t wait for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s