Skip to main content

Fractured - same story, new context





Fractured is a psychological thriller we follow through Ray Monroe's point of view. Ray travels across the country with his wife and daughter. One quick stop in the journey and tragedy happens. From that moment on, we follow his doubts and fears, dragging us into a spiral of madness, disorientation, and paranoia.

Predictable


The biggest problem I see in the plot is that it is entirely predictable. It’s an interesting story, but, at least by the middle of it, you already realized what happened.

It is not an original or surprising story. You can see others of the same sort in many different movies. Just the context is slightly different.

Emotionless


I like emotion. I want to watch a movie that makes me feel something. This was not the case.

Sam Worthington is fairly convincing in his role, but something is missing in the film. I felt some lack of emotional connection. In a story like this, you expect to suffer with the character. You feel his anger, his frustration, his anguish, but that never happened to me. 

Somehow, I was able to emotionally disconnect myself from what I was watching, not going crazy with the character as it would be expected. It’s difficult to point exactly at the problem, but it’s, maybe, due to the extreme predictability of the story.

Characters and Environment


The characters are another downside to the film. Except for the protagonist, they don’t really “exist.” They are there and say a couple of lines — nothing else. 

There is no depth, no personality. Even considering that we are watching it as Ray would be, at least his wife and daughter should have some depth. This way, the film can’t make you care for the characters as it would be supposed.

The surroundings were something that I liked at first. All very dark and gloom. The hospital is quite creepy, and that, in the first minutes, can make you have second thoughts and ask yourself if, indeed, something sinister is happening there.

The hospital’s staff is cold and distant. Too much. It can help to create some suspense at first, but it’s too far from reality. A child disappears in their hospital, under their care, and absolutely no one seems to care at all. The only character with a logical, credible attitude was the police officer that never gave up on trying to understand what was going on.

Is it worth your time?


It is a difficult question to answer. I had a good time watching it, despite my negative opinion about it. If you never watched a film of this sort, maybe it can fool you for longer and make your whole experience more enjoyable. If not…

Sam Worthington’s performance is probably worth watching, but nothing else. Neither the story nor the characters. As a matter of fact, his perception of reality is more interesting than the actual story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s