Skip to main content

You - Season 2: review




Joe’s creepiness has no end, neither his obsessions. The spiral of obsessive love and pursuing goals at any cost continues.

However, don’t be fooled by appearances. This second season isn’t just a continuum from the first one. It is bloodier and more shocking, with some plot twists that you probably wouldn’t see coming. 

I’m good, the rest of the world complicates everything


One of the things that fascinated me from the beginning is how his distorted mind sees everything he does as some kind of “bad luck”. He truly believes he is a good person. Everything that happens is beyond him. He is so good building up his own version, that sometimes you almost feel sorry for him.

The narration in every episode could be annoying in any other show, but it fits perfectly here. There are no words to describe Badgley’s work. Absolutely perfect.

Intense development


The developments for this new season made the show grow. You have more interesting characters, and some answers to the “Candace problem”.

I loved every new addition, but Forty’s story was particularly interesting for me. I loved the character. He is naive, gentle, and sweet, with a problematic past and emotionally dependent. Nonetheless, he is the one that sees through Joe. His death gains an extra value in the show’s context since it’s not Joe who kills him, yet, he is responsible. Death, indeed, follows Joe.

After a lot more bloodshed and very questionable choices, the truth is you still care about Joe. You want to know what is going to happen to him and how he can get out of some situations.

Love


Love is… I don’t even know. She is a curious character from the beginning and the one that makes the biggest plot twist. 

She is a challenge to Joe. Strong and assertive, in many ways, totally different from Beck. However, Joe can’t see the truth; he only sees what he wants. He thinks Love is a broken little thing, in need of a shinny armor prince, but he will have a huge surprise.

Joe’s shock about Love - who she is and what she is capable of - shows how delusional he is about himself. I believe that this will have a great impact on the development of the story next season. Love is like a mirror of himself that he can’t ignore.

The good villain


Joe always finds a way of seeing himself as a good guy. He has good intentions, but bad luck. Joe is the savior of everything. And then he finds Love…

The season ends with an image of perfect life and family. It raises many questions. How will they be as parents? How will they deal with everything?

And the bigger question of all: is Joe in danger?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s