Skip to main content

Lucifer - an addictive sweet devil

 


It’s time to try human life! The Devil is tired of Hell and decides to take a vacation on Earth - more precisely in LA. Five years later, he owns a nightclub and lives intensely all things this world can give to him, with the demon Maze by his side. 

Lucifer tries to balance his human adventure with his crazy divine family. Delicious!

Humorous devil

The show is not a comedy, per se, but it is so fun. Lucifer has a great sense of humor, and although I’m not religious, I would imagine the real Lucifer precisely like this. Dark humor and rushes of a bad mood when things don’t go up to his way.

I love how he is so truthful all the time. He always tells the truth. It’s not his fault no one believes him, is it?

I also love the way he describes humans; it is fantastic. Especially the “tiny ones”. Who could resist him throwing a piece of food at Chloe’s daughter as if she was a dog?

He is so… human

Despite all that, his feelings are very human, and sometimes you can relate to them. The King of Hell is the most human possible, and sometimes you may even pity him.

He uses Earth as his giant playground helping with injustices while tries to find a way to deal with his divinely messed up family.

He felts wronged by everyone, lonely… They failed him. Such a human feeling for a (fallen) Angel, isn’t it?

In fact, no matter how many people he gets around him, he is, indeed, alone. No one understands him. No one believes him. When he shows himself to the therapist, proving that he really is the devil, it is such a touching scene.

I just finished season 2, so I’m way behind, but it seems to me that at each season, he will deal with one family member. Amenadiel was easy compared to his mother. The great Goddess was such a b***h! Yet, you can’t help yourself but laughing while she tries to figure out how to live amongst humans.

Religion and humor CAN mix

It had been a while since I got interested in a story to the point of binge-watching a show, but Lucifer was able to do that. 

God, devil, demons, angels, it’s all part of the western cultural imaginary. It was all shown with the right dose of humor and suspense.

At the end of the day, Lucifer is about a lovely yet naughty guy who only searches for some love and understanding. Curious, isn’t it?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s