Skip to main content

Indian Matchmaking - playing with love

 


Indian Matchmaking appeared as a suggestion on my Netflix account. I initially ignored it, but eventually, I decided to check it out. It is a weird show, I felt like they were going on sales to find a spouse, but I had some fun.

I watched the two seasons, and I must say that the first clients were more fun. But, unfortunately, the second season was boring. 

Indian culture

For someone like me, who knows very little of the Indian culture, this show gives us some perspective on what it is like. And you end up hoping for them to find a good match.

However, especially in the second season, things get a bit… wild—horoscopes, curses… way out of line for someone like me. Besides, I'm afraid I have to disagree with Sima on many things…

The bachelors are not so good, only because they have money or dated a lot (what?). That last one says something very different, aunty!

Since it is a show, and we all know that people act in reality shows, I have one question: is it realistic? I'm not sure. I read a review from an Indian girl who said it is realistic, which is sad.

And let's not forget the married couples they throw in there for no reason other than to attest that they are very happy and arranged marriages work. For their sake, I truly hope so. 

Sima’s clients

Sima is a traditional woman with traditional values. She seems to find matches primarily for (at least in the show) people who live in the States. People who grow up in the West Culture. What could go wrong?

I must say that most of them are pretty annoying, though. They complain a lot, and Sima is very patient…

The one who had the most impact on me was Aparna. She can be annoying and self-centered, but she has unshakable self-esteem! So go for it, girl!

Not about love, but growth

The matches are not always perfect; Sima doesn't provide miracles, only guidance. It shows that it is not about meeting the right person but about growth and self-knowledge. Sima helps them through the process.

It is not a show for everyone, but it is interesting enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s