Skip to main content

Let’s talk about “Knock at the Cabin”

 


What would you think if someone got into your house and told you that you need to sacrifice one member of your family or humanity will end? Wait, what? Yes, that’s the premise of Knock at the Cabin.

A little girl and her dads are on vacation in a cabin in the middle of nowhere when four people armed with strange weapons appear and say one of them should be sacrificed. 

Is this horror?

I’ve seen people rebuking the movie, and I get why, but let’s take a minute to think about it. Why do you feel so… well, nothing.

When the story starts, it is promising. It is not something you’ve seen a thousand times in other movies, and you can feel the tension. It is an impossible choice to make. Here, the problem starts: it creates expectations.

These expectations are not fulfilled. The movie is supposed to be a psychological thriller, but you never feel your heart race. Instead, it is slow and calm; all you see are four lunatics and one guy screaming at them. I believe the other guy is supposed to be in shock, but I’m not sure.

Incongruence and numbness

The plot has flaws and never a twist or anything that can wake you up from the numbness you start to feel along the way.

Why is their sacrifice going to save the world? Why would the others kill themselves when they fail to convince the family? Why is everyone so calm at the bar in the end? Why is the little girl so calm too? Isn’t she upset that she lost a dad?

Knock at the Cabin lacks logic and, more importantly, emotion. Yet, don’t think for a minute that the cast is guilty of any of this. The cast is good. I wouldn’t say Oscar-worthy, but good enough. The little Wen (Kristen Cui) is perfect, a great actress, no doubt. 

We expected more

I always feel disappointed when a movie ends, and I feel nothing. In this case, it started in a good direction. Then, suddenly, it looked like they needed to finish it as fast as possible, and started making many bad decisions. So, the disappointment was even bigger.

I believe Shyamalan wanted to give us something to think about - what would you do? It worked in the first 20 to 30 minutes. No more. It is simply about a particular morality and becomes repetitive.

If would I recommend the movie? Well, if you don’t have many things to do (or watch), and your expectations are low, then yes. It is different, so it may be interesting, but it definitely lacks something. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmaid’s Tale – From Brilliant to Frustrating

  When The Handmaid’s Tale first aired, it felt sharp, terrifying, and painfully necessary. I wrote about the first season as a dark and brilliant adaptation, one that used restraint, symbolism, and dread to tell its story. Now that I've finished the third season, my opinion has shifted — not wholly, but noticeably. The show is still good . Sometimes very good. But it also became frustrating, uneven, and less powerful than it could have been. June Osborne: From Survivor to Exhaustion Let’s talk about June (Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men ). I understand the idea behind her arc. She was meant to evolve — to become more confident, more assertive, more dangerous. A woman shaped by trauma who stops surviving and starts fighting back. On paper, it makes sense. On screen, however, it often doesn’t work. June becomes reckless to the point of irresponsibility. She repeatedly puts others in danger without seeming to fully care about who might be caught in the crossfire. Her actions feel impuls...

Grief in the Shadows: Why 'The Silencing' Stands Out

  A moody thriller about grief, violence, and how far we go for the ones we love. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ( Game of Thrones ) is Rayburn Swanson , a former hunter who now lives in isolation, running a wildlife sanctuary named after his missing daughter. Years after she vanished, Rayburn is just barely functioning—haunted, grieving, and clinging to the hope that she might still return. When a murdered girl turns up in the woods with eerie similarities to his daughter's disappearance, the local sheriff, Alice Gustafson ( Annabelle Wallis ), launches an investigation. Rayburn, meanwhile, accidentally crosses paths with a mysterious masked figure hunting a girl on his land. This encounter pulls him into the heart of the case in ways he never expected. The investigation twists, misleads, and slowly unravels, building toward a reveal that isn’t obvious—and intentionally so. Nothing is as straightforward as it seems. Themes of Grief and Family What makes The Silencing compelling is...

Gangsta Granny – Hilarious and Surprisingly Moving

  I have a ten-year-old daughter, and one thing we like to do is read the same books so we can talk about them afterward. Gangsta Granny was a birthday gift for her, and she read it so quickly that it immediately made me curious. When a child finishes a book that fast, you know something is working. When I finally read it myself, I was pleasantly surprised — and completely charmed. A Story That Is Funny and Moving At first glance, Gangsta Granny is a crazy, over-the-top, and very funny story. David Walliams clearly knows how to make children laugh, using absurd situations, exaggerated characters, and a fast-moving plot that keeps young readers hooked. But beneath the humour, the book is also sweet, touching, and emotionally rich. What starts as a wild adventure slowly reveals a story about family, loneliness, empathy, and learning to truly see the people around us. This balance reminded me of Roald Dahl’s books , where outrageous humour and emotional depth coexist effortles...