Skip to main content

Walker - it's about a Texas Ranger, but not THE Texas Ranger

 


Once I learned about this show, I couldn't ignore it. I'm a big fan of Jared Padalecki, and, like many of us, I would love to watch him again in a new show. Also, I remember watching Walker, The Texas Ranger, as a kid with my dad, so I expected a little of the warmth that comes with childhood memories.

Well, after 10 minutes into the first episode, I concluded that this show and this Cordell Walker have nothing to do with Chuck Norris' 90s show. At first, it felt like a slight disappointment, but that feeling disappeared. It is different, not worse.

Family Drama

From what I can recall, Chuck Norris' Walker was a very one-dimensional character, and his profession defined him. He was a Texas Ranger, and that's all he was (or near it).

Padalecki's approach is quite different. It is a family drama, with all the sad and sweet moments due to that genre. At the end of the first season, I concluded that the show was not about a Texas Ranger. It is about a grieving widowed, father of two teens, who happens to be a Texas Ranger. 

Not Great, but Good Enough

Walker is not exactly revolutionary or an impossible-to-stop-watching show, but it's pretty good. More importantly, it gets better with time. In the first episodes, I felt that no one was sure what they were doing, but it eventually gained a direction.

Sure, after 15 years of Supernatural, it isn't easy to look at Jared and not see Sam, but he is building a solid character that is getting better step by step. 

Emily's death, as a mystery, could be better. In the end, it feels the idea was quite good, but it was difficult to get interested in it from the beginning. It is supposed for the audience to be at the main character's side. Yet, sometimes, it is difficult to empathize with him and his (apparently unjustified) obsession. I usually feel like it is too easy for the viewer to get things, but in this case, we probably should have more hints.

The kids can also be a bit annoying, especially the girl. She is not likable, but like the rest of the show, it gets better.

It is not exactly a reboot 

The main problem with this show is that it was sold as a reboot, but it isn't. Not really. That had a negative impact and upset the Walker, the Texas Ranger's fans. Walker is a family drama that got its inspiration from the 90s show, and that's all.

Walker is a refreshing approach for a genre that wouldn't go very well with how society works now, and the most important thing is that it keeps improving. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s