Skip to main content

You Are What You Eat: A Twin Experiment - Review

 


You Are What You Eat is a Netflix documentary about a study with twins to evaluate the impact of food on our bodies. I love these studies with twins. I find it fascinating. Two genetically identical people are the best way to understand how things affect our bodies.

Vegan vs Omnivorous

In this study, one of the twins would eat vegan food for eight weeks, while the other one would eat an omnivorous diet, yet the most healthy possible, and see how that impacts their bodies.

They had different measurements like weight, blood pressure, and biological age of the cells… and they wanted to see what would happen in this short period of time.

I'm not a defender of a vegan diet, nor do I think meat is bad for your health, yet, due to the conditions in which our food is created, I was expecting a better impact in the vegan diet twin from the beginning.

It’s about everything

The show is about the study itself, but it is also about showing what is wrong with our food. You see animal farms, how cattle and chickens are raised, as well as some procedures of fish farming that honestly were what shocked me the most.

I'm from a country where we eat a lot of fish and see it as very healthy. This documentary showed me that we have no idea what we eat… Some things were alarming.

They also focused on the environmental impact of such mass production in an obvious, informative way without lecturing the viewers, which is a total bonus.

Biased?

I liked the documentary; it was very informative, and I want to experiment with new food. They showed some alternatives to meat that looked delicious and made me want to try them. Yet, something bothered me.

The study was supposed to be about discovering, and in the end, I felt they were trying to prove, at any cost, that a vegan diet was better.

All markers seemed to be improved, except that all vegan twins lost muscle mass, and they didn't focus on that enough. They said, "Oh, you probably didn't eat enough. You need to eat more calories," but I felt it was mostly ignored.

This doesn't erase all the good vegan diet did, but it would be more honest to explore this fact and explain how to avoid it since the vegan diet clearly had more benefits than the omnivorous one.

An interesting experiment

The whole documentary was very interesting, and I enjoyed it. You Are What You Eat is worth watching, but it should be less like an ad for a vegan lifestyle and more like a scientific impartial study.

My advice is to watch it, not to convince you to change your diet but to have more information and a clear notion of what you eat.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s