Skip to main content

Nobody's looking (Ninguém Tá Olhando) - Review


Nobody's Looking


I’d realized before that there are a couple of good Brazilian shows on Netflix, but due to time constraints, I had never been able to watch any of them. Recently, I gave it a try with Nobody’s Looking, or in its original Ninguém Tá Olhando, and I loved it.

The story is about Uli (Victor Lamoglia), a recently born rebel angel (or Angelus, in the show’s terminology), full of questions. He is not happy with the system's explanations and keeps digging around. Not satisfied with being the [only] black sheep, he leads other characters to question and take forbidden actions.

Nobody’s Looking is an irreverent comedy, exploring the way we fight so hard to keep the status quo, even when it makes no sense at all. 

I especially liked the internationality of most of the jokes and funny moments. Sure, some moments are more fun to a Brazilian viewer, but most of them are easily (and more importantly, funnily) translated.

Questioning


Since the first episode, we know the rules of the Angelus System, which is run as a sort of (very bureaucratic) public department. Uli, clearly, is not fond of them.

However, the show is not just about questioning the system. In the second part, you will be wondering if Uli's decisions and their consequences aren't, in fact, the proof that the system, as absurd as it is, works.

Funny and provocative, the topic isn't new, but it is a good approach. I like that Daniel Rezende chose a problem common to Brazil and my country to make us laugh: bureaucracy.

Why not?


Uli and his questions are almost childish and, as such, all the more real. After all, why is what we all want to know.

Nobody's Looking is another good comedy for Netflix's catalog. Ambitious, irreverent, it's definitely worth a look.

While in a completely different context and perspective, I believe that if you liked Good Omens, you will probably enjoy this one.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmaid’s Tale – From Brilliant to Frustrating

  When The Handmaid’s Tale first aired, it felt sharp, terrifying, and painfully necessary. I wrote about the first season as a dark and brilliant adaptation, one that used restraint, symbolism, and dread to tell its story. Now that I've finished the third season, my opinion has shifted — not wholly, but noticeably. The show is still good . Sometimes very good. But it also became frustrating, uneven, and less powerful than it could have been. June Osborne: From Survivor to Exhaustion Let’s talk about June (Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men ). I understand the idea behind her arc. She was meant to evolve — to become more confident, more assertive, more dangerous. A woman shaped by trauma who stops surviving and starts fighting back. On paper, it makes sense. On screen, however, it often doesn’t work. June becomes reckless to the point of irresponsibility. She repeatedly puts others in danger without seeming to fully care about who might be caught in the crossfire. Her actions feel impuls...

Grief in the Shadows: Why 'The Silencing' Stands Out

  A moody thriller about grief, violence, and how far we go for the ones we love. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ( Game of Thrones ) is Rayburn Swanson , a former hunter who now lives in isolation, running a wildlife sanctuary named after his missing daughter. Years after she vanished, Rayburn is just barely functioning—haunted, grieving, and clinging to the hope that she might still return. When a murdered girl turns up in the woods with eerie similarities to his daughter's disappearance, the local sheriff, Alice Gustafson ( Annabelle Wallis ), launches an investigation. Rayburn, meanwhile, accidentally crosses paths with a mysterious masked figure hunting a girl on his land. This encounter pulls him into the heart of the case in ways he never expected. The investigation twists, misleads, and slowly unravels, building toward a reveal that isn’t obvious—and intentionally so. Nothing is as straightforward as it seems. Themes of Grief and Family What makes The Silencing compelling is...

Gangsta Granny – Hilarious and Surprisingly Moving

  I have a ten-year-old daughter, and one thing we like to do is read the same books so we can talk about them afterward. Gangsta Granny was a birthday gift for her, and she read it so quickly that it immediately made me curious. When a child finishes a book that fast, you know something is working. When I finally read it myself, I was pleasantly surprised — and completely charmed. A Story That Is Funny and Moving At first glance, Gangsta Granny is a crazy, over-the-top, and very funny story. David Walliams clearly knows how to make children laugh, using absurd situations, exaggerated characters, and a fast-moving plot that keeps young readers hooked. But beneath the humour, the book is also sweet, touching, and emotionally rich. What starts as a wild adventure slowly reveals a story about family, loneliness, empathy, and learning to truly see the people around us. This balance reminded me of Roald Dahl’s books , where outrageous humour and emotional depth coexist effortles...