Skip to main content

Rocketman - Musical review




Biopics are in a high place right now, as well as the criticisms about all the details they couldn't fill. I was never close to Elton John's work, although, like many people, I knew his most famous songs. Still, I was quite curious about the movie.

I had no idea it was a musical, which was a bit of a shock to me. Not being a big fan of musicals, I must admit that I loved this one.

The movie starts with a big, dramatic entrance, totally Elton material, that immediately glue you to the seat. Those outfits were something special, by the way. 

The time-line, as usual, was altered for entertainment purposes - you see an infant Elton John singing a song he would write as an adult - and that bothered many people. It didn't bother me at all. I see it as an interesting creative choice. 

The main goal of this biopic was for us to see the performer without forgetting the human being behind it, and they reached it. 

Sex, Drugs and Rock ‘N Roll


As we watched in Bohemian Rhapsody before, they tried to soften things up. Fortunately, Elton John is alive and didn’t allow it. I read somewhere that he told the producers “If you gonna tell them, tell them everything”. I don’t know if that is true, but if it is: well done, Sir Elton John.

Still comparing to Bo Rap (impossible not to), Rocketman is more centered in emotion. The connection is so deep that you almost can forget that the man on the screen is not actually Elton John, but an actor (a very good one). He introduces you to a very human Elton John, so similar to all of us that it almost hurts sometimes. 

Like many of us, Elton uses a mask to hide his fears and insecurities, that don’t seem to disappear as he climbs the ladder of success. His outrageous stage costumes and accessories are the perfect metaphor in the script. At some point, he says to his best friend “People don’t pay to see Reg Dwight [his birth name], they pay to see Elton John!” His confident and glamorous stage persona assumes the role of self-protection, hiding what makes him feel small.

Meanwhile, John Reid - played by Richard Madden -, Elton’s manager, appears as the villain in the movie, taking advantage of both, his insecurities and his talent. 

Young Elton


As impressive as his adult life can be, they went as far as his childhood to tell his story, which definitely enriched it. The child actor playing young Elton is adorable.

His stone-cold mother shows an absolute indifference towards her son. To me, what she says to him as he reveals his homosexuality takes the prize, “You’ll never be loved properly.” 

Elton John, as many musicians of his generation, went through a massive transformation to become the man he wanted to be. 


Cast


You cannot finish a review of Rocketman without mentioning the cast. They were simply perfect. It will not take long for you to hate Richard Madden because of his disgusting John Reid.

Egerton, of course, gives the performance of a lifetime. He works perfectly between the charisma and vulnerability of the character. The actor doesn’t look or sound exactly like Elton, and yet, he is absolutely credible in all scenes. He’s totally immersed in his role. 

And… Cut!


The recent wave of biopics has an interesting work of humanizing people that seem so far away from the ordinary human being. 

Rocketman is entertaining and tells a good story - the true meaning of a biopic. The characters are skin-deep, and the music delightful. 

Once more, we can’t avoid comparing the end of this movie with Bohemian Rhapsody. They use the credits to tell the “rest of the story,” which always leaves us with a sense of emptiness and “something is missing” kind of feeling. 

For some reason, however, it doesn’t bother me as much as in Bohemian Rhapsody. Perhaps because the story isn’t over. Elton John still has a lot to tell us. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s