Skip to main content

Review of Good Omens - polemic and delightful




An unlikely friendship between an angel and a demon with Queen songs as background? I’m in! 

The show is based on a book that I unfortunately never read - nor did I knew that there was such a book (yes, shame on me). 

This show was surrounded by some polemics that I never fully understood since I didn’t found any logic in what I read. Perhaps, it was a matter of some British humor that doesn’t translate well to Americans, such as Queen, themselves, found out in the 80s? 

No, it was probably more ridiculous than that. There was a petition (sent to the wrong place, by the way) asking to cancel the show because it normalizes satanism. Absurd? Now, join the fact that 20 000 people signed it! Well, Good Omens make us laugh even outside the screen.

Okay, let’s talk about the show now.

Absurd, hilarious scenes


(Yes, it has spoilers.) 


Full of what you could call dark humor, Good Omens has plenty of moments that are both funny and an absolute surprise that will make you laugh. 

The hell hound is a cute puppy! (Very sweet by the way.) Pestilence, one of the horsemen (that now are riding motorcycles - due to evolution I suppose), retired, and his substitute is pollution. And the demon screams at his plants to put the fear of God on them. Yet, none of these are critical to the evolution of the story, just tiny details, absolutely hilarious.

Good Omens is, in fact, a comedy about the absurdity of heaven and hell, basically the bases of much of western culture and the Christian religion. So, depending on your vision of those beliefs and the seriousness behind them, you may find the show absolutely delightful or genuinely offensive.

Together against all the higher purposes 


You have an angel and a demon that are best friends. They stick together against heaven and hell to avoid the Apocalypse. Weird? Maybe you should also know that their motivation is to keep enjoying earthly pleasures, such as food or music. 

Absurdities aside, their relationship is lovely. They both bring to the surface the best part of each other. Aziraphale, the innocent, sweet angel, makes the demon reveals his caring nicer side. Crowley, the sharp-tongued demon, tries to make the angel bolder and risky (and a lot funnier).

In fact, I would risk saying that their relationship is what really makes the whole show.

Criticisms


I read so many absurd criticisms about this show… “It’s full of nudity” Really? Are you sure we watched the same show? “It’s a gay show.” Wait. What?!

The only one that makes sense to me says that apart from the two main characters, all the others are “tissue-paper thin.” I tend to agree. Without Crowley or Aziraphale on the screen, everything seems… flat. When none of them were on the screen, I was basically waiting for their next appearance.

Other than that, the only thing I could possibly criticize was the unnecessary amount of time spent in the first episode switching the babies.

It is worth it! 


Good Omens was a recommendation from a close friend that knows very well my kind of humor and what type of show I enjoy. Obviously, she was absolutely right with this one. 

I didn’t regret to watch it, not even for a second. It’s pure entertainment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This is not the sort of show which I usually talk about on this blog. However, as a psychologist, I’m usually quite curious in regards to criminals and their minds; and one of these days I started watching this documentary on Netflix . Taking into consideration the kind of thing this is, I can’t say I ‘liked’ it. I mean what you see in there is nothing to like, but I was rather terrified, which is probably the usual response. Nonetheless, it was definitely a good documentary. The eyes of a killer Everything displayed in this story was terrible. The descriptions, Bundy’s posture, everything seemed like some sort of horror show, putting into perspective what we may consider to be lucky or unlucky in this life. Before I even start watching it, I read somewhere that this was the kind of thing you shouldn’t watch alone. Sounds accurate right now. At the time, and considering my, mostly academic, experience, I didn’t think that this could actually be so upsetting.

The Mist (2017) - quick review

  A thick mist falls up a town, and something about it isn’t right - good premise. We would expect nothing less than good from a Stephen King’s book. Yet, as we all know, book adaptations can be quite disappointing.  It goes from good to terrible. I loved the plot and, in the beginning, I was very curious and interested - it was almost impossible to stop watching it. Yet, at some point, it started to get on my nerves, and not in the way that a good horror show should. As we got closer to the end of the season, many things stopped making sense. Some characters are simply… not believable. The explanations for whatever was happening were ridiculous and easily refutable. It all took away the feeling of “this could be real”. It killed my interest. Many changes were made to the original novel. Some of them were interesting and made the story better, yet others were… well, nonsense. Cast and production As I said before, the first episodes were good and made us want to keep watching, but I was

Show Review: Emily in Paris

  It took me a long time to give Emily in Paris a shot because I thought it would be a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer. Well, it is a silly, shallow comedy about some sort of influencer, but to be honest, I liked it.  Emily is a young talent in a marketing career and has the opportunity of her life: working in Paris for a year! And since her boyfriend is an idiot, she can try the full experience of being a single woman in the city of love.  Unfortunately, she is not as good at managing her personal life as she is at work. In fact, she is frankly terrible at making decisions outside work. Cultural Differences Everyone who has been in a foreign country knows that sometimes we get ourselves into awkward situations due to cultural differences. So watching someone else go through the same is quite funny. I must admit that seeing an American trying to speak French is hilarious. Of course, I’m not French (and French people who hear me trying to speak French could have a s