Skip to main content

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules — Why I Prefer Greg to Nikki

 

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules


Reading children's books as an adult is a strange experience. Reading them as a mother is even stranger. And reading them as a psychologist means that sometimes I notice things I probably wasn't supposed to notice.

But that's exactly why I enjoy reading my daughter's books and discussing the topics with her later.

This time, I picked up Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules, the second book in Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. 

After reading a couple of Dork Diaries books, I found myself comparing Greg with Nikki. I have to say it: I prefer Greg. Here's why.

Greg Is a Terrible Kid — But There Are Consequences

Greg is not exactly a model child.

He lies. He tries to avoid responsibility. He makes selfish decisions. Sometimes he is mean. And, obviously, he spends a considerable amount of time trying to find ways to get out of trouble.

But here's the thing I really appreciate about these books: Greg's actions have consequences.

He gets punished. His parents make him face what he's done. He has to do things he doesn't want to do. Sometimes he gets embarrassed, sometimes he gets into trouble, and sometimes he simply has to face the unpleasant consequences of his own decisions.

And that matters.

Even when the problems are bigger, the book never stops being funny. Greg's terrible decisions become part of the comedy, but the story doesn't pretend that those decisions don't matter.

Compared With Dork Diaries

This is where my Dork Diaries comparison comes in.

Nikki's problems can probably feel more relatable to many girls. Her stories are often more emotional, and friendship, embarrassment, popularity, and social acceptance are much more central to her world.

I completely understand why that can appeal to young readers.

But as a mother, and especially as a psychologist, I sometimes prefer what Diary of a Wimpy Kid does with Greg.

There is a difference between doing something silly and doing something genuinely wrong.

Greg's behavior is often ridiculous. He does stupid things. He wants to look cool. He makes decisions that are obviously going to backfire.

But children don't just learn from what characters do. They also learn from what happens afterward. That's where Diary of a Wimpy Kid gets it right.

Actions Should Have Consequences

This might sound like a very serious point to make about a silly children's book, but I actually think it's an important one.

Children are still learning how to understand consequences. They're learning that wanting something doesn't mean you should have it. That being angry doesn't justify hurting someone. That lying doesn't magically disappear just because you don't want to get caught.

And, perhaps most importantly, they're learning that our actions affect other people.

In Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Greg is repeatedly held accountable for his actions and choices. 

His parents don't simply laugh everything off. Sometimes there are punishments. Sometimes there are rules. Sometimes he has to do something he doesn't want to do.

The Slightly Uncomfortable Part

There's also an interesting question here.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is an older series. It reflects a particular idea of childhood and parenting, that may be slightly different from today's perspective.

Responsibility was important, and children weren't able to get away with anything just because they were children. Now, you have a much more open parenting style, and we tend to look the other way and allow children to face far fewer consequences.

And that made me think about something slightly uncomfortable. Behavior issues can become a problem when children never learn that actions have consequences.

Obviously, children need room to make mistakes. They need to experiment, be silly and sometimes get things spectacularly wrong.

But they also need boundaries. And they need adults who are willing to say: Yes, you're a child. Yes, you made a mistake. And yes, you still have to deal with it.

And Then There's Rowley

Of course, these books wouldn't be the way they are without Greg's best friend Rowley. I absolutely love him.

While Greg is constantly worried about growing up, looking cool, and becoming more important, Rowley is still perfectly happy being a kid.

And that's amazing!

Children seem to be in such a hurry to grow up. They want to be teenagers, then adults, then whatever comes next. Usually we realize too late how good it was to be a kid.

Rowley reminds us that there is nothing wrong with being childish when you're actually a child. There is something wonderful about enjoying simple things without constantly worrying about whether they're cool.

He might be one of the most wholesome things in Greg's chaotic little world.

Keep Them Coming

I really enjoyed Rodrick Rules. It's funny, fast-paced, and full of the kind of ridiculous situations that make Greg's diary so entertaining.

But what I liked most this time was something I wasn't necessarily expecting to think about when I opened a children's comedy book: responsibility.

Greg is far from perfect, but when he makes bad decisions, he has to face them.

And that's one reason I continue to prefer Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Dork Diaries. Nikki may be more emotionally relatable at times, particularly for girls dealing with friendships and social pressures, but Greg's world feels more comfortable with the idea that actions have consequences.

As a mother, I appreciate that.

As a psychologist, I appreciate it even more.

And as someone who just wants to have fun reading with her daughter, I have to admit the most important thing: Greg is just really funny.

I'll definitely be giving my daughter more books from this series.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmaid’s Tale – From Brilliant to Frustrating

  When The Handmaid’s Tale first aired, it felt sharp, terrifying, and painfully necessary. I wrote about the first season as a dark and brilliant adaptation, one that used restraint, symbolism, and dread to tell its story. Now that I've finished the third season, my opinion has shifted — not wholly, but noticeably. The show is still good . Sometimes very good. But it also became frustrating, uneven, and less powerful than it could have been. June Osborne: From Survivor to Exhaustion Let’s talk about June (Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men ). I understand the idea behind her arc. She was meant to evolve — to become more confident, more assertive, more dangerous. A woman shaped by trauma who stops surviving and starts fighting back. On paper, it makes sense. On screen, however, it often doesn’t work. June becomes reckless to the point of irresponsibility. She repeatedly puts others in danger without seeming to fully care about who might be caught in the crossfire. Her actions feel impuls...

Grief in the Shadows: Why 'The Silencing' Stands Out

  A moody thriller about grief, violence, and how far we go for the ones we love. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ( Game of Thrones ) is Rayburn Swanson , a former hunter who now lives in isolation, running a wildlife sanctuary named after his missing daughter. Years after she vanished, Rayburn is just barely functioning—haunted, grieving, and clinging to the hope that she might still return. When a murdered girl turns up in the woods with eerie similarities to his daughter's disappearance, the local sheriff, Alice Gustafson ( Annabelle Wallis ), launches an investigation. Rayburn, meanwhile, accidentally crosses paths with a mysterious masked figure hunting a girl on his land. This encounter pulls him into the heart of the case in ways he never expected. The investigation twists, misleads, and slowly unravels, building toward a reveal that isn’t obvious—and intentionally so. Nothing is as straightforward as it seems. Themes of Grief and Family What makes The Silencing compelling is...

Gangsta Granny – Hilarious and Surprisingly Moving

  I have a ten-year-old daughter, and one thing we like to do is read the same books so we can talk about them afterward. Gangsta Granny was a birthday gift for her, and she read it so quickly that it immediately made me curious. When a child finishes a book that fast, you know something is working. When I finally read it myself, I was pleasantly surprised — and completely charmed. A Story That Is Funny and Moving At first glance, Gangsta Granny is a crazy, over-the-top, and very funny story. David Walliams clearly knows how to make children laugh, using absurd situations, exaggerated characters, and a fast-moving plot that keeps young readers hooked. But beneath the humour, the book is also sweet, touching, and emotionally rich. What starts as a wild adventure slowly reveals a story about family, loneliness, empathy, and learning to truly see the people around us. This balance reminded me of Roald Dahl’s books , where outrageous humour and emotional depth coexist effortles...