I have to admit that I’m suspicious of movie sequels. Especially when I really liked the first movie.
Something about a second film makes me expect disappointment. The characters are already established, the story has already had its big emotional moment, and sometimes it feels like the sequel exists simply because the first movie was successful.
That said, I was pleasantly surprised by Moana 2.
It isn't perfect, and I don't think it has quite the same freshness as the first film, but I genuinely enjoyed it.
A Different Kind of Disney Heroine
Modern Disney has moved away from the idea that every heroine needs a romantic story, and Moana fits into this new view.
She doesn't need a boyfriend. She doesn't need a boy to rescue her, complete her, or give her story meaning.
She can stand on her own, but that doesn't mean she's completely alone, either. Moana is independent, but she still needs other people.
Friendship and Teamwork
Independence doesn't mean isolation.
Moana has her crew, and I really liked the group Disney created around her. They are very different from each other, with different personalities, skills, and ways of approaching problems. They actually feel like a team rather than a collection of characters who happen to be traveling together.
My favorite is the old farmer. I found him absolutely hilarious.
He brings a completely different energy to the group, and some of the funniest moments come simply from having these very different personalities together.
Maui Is Growing Too
Maui is still Maui, of course. But I liked seeing some of his character development.
He has always been a larger-than-life character, but Moana 2 gives us more opportunities to see him becoming a better person and learning from his relationship with Moana and the rest of the group.
Their relationship works particularly well because it isn't about one character saving the other. They challenge, support, and learn from each other.
And sometimes that is a much more interesting relationship than romance.
Coming Together
For me, the most beautiful part of Moana 2 is its final message.
The movie is ultimately about people coming together. Different people, different communities, different strengths.
The idea that we don't evolve by remaining isolated, but by connecting with others and working together, is a simple message, but a beautiful one.
We don't have to all be the same. We don't even have to be good at the same things. We can bring different skills, experiences, and perspectives, and accomplish things together that none of us could accomplish alone.
There is something very hopeful about that, and I think it is a particularly good message for children.
Beautiful and Fun
Of course, Moana 2 is also beautiful.
The animation is gorgeous, the world is full of color and movement, and it has that Disney ability to make a fairly simple message feel much bigger through music and visuals.
It isn't a perfect movie, and I don't think it has quite the same impact as the original. But it doesn't need to.
Comments
Post a Comment