Skip to main content

Sinners – A Strange Night of Music, Vampires and Freedom

 

sinners 2025

I went into Sinners knowing surprisingly little. I knew it had Michael B. Jordan, I knew people were talking about it, and that was pretty much it. So when the vampires showed up, I was genuinely surprised.

Sinners doesn't begin like a vampire movie. It begins with music, family, racism, violence, and the dream of freedom. Set in Mississippi in 1932, the film gives us a very clear picture of how racial separation affected everyday life. It isn't presented as some distant historical concept. It is simply part of how the community functions.

And then the vampires arrive.

It sounds like a ridiculous combination when you put it that way. Somehow, it works.

Music as an escape

The thing I liked most about Sinners is its relationship with music.

Music is an escape for these characters, both physically and metaphorically. It gives them somewhere to go when the world around them offers few choices.

And the movie doesn't just tell us that music is powerful. It makes us feel it.

One sequence shows Sammie's music breaking through time itself, bringing different generations, cultures, and musical influences together. It is beautiful, strange, and completely hypnotic.

I actually felt my body wanting to move with the music.

That doesn't happen often.

The sound design and cinematography work together so well that the music almost becomes a physical force. It isn't simply background music while the story happens. It is part of the story.

And that makes the later supernatural elements much easier to accept. Music isn't just entertainment in this world. It has power.

When the party goes very, very wrong

Then Sinners changes.

The vampires appear, and suddenly the film becomes a survival horror movie.

It is almost a completely different film: a small group of people trapped together, trying to survive the night while something outside wants to get in.

Except the movie has already spent so much time establishing the world and its characters that the horror doesn't feel completely disconnected from everything else.

If anything, it gives a new meaning to the phrase “the party went wrong.”

Very wrong.

There are some genuinely violent moments, but I also found something interesting about the way violence is treated throughout the film. Violence feels almost natural within this community. It is horrible, but it isn't necessarily treated as something extraordinary. People have grown up surrounded by it.

That makes the vampires feel like an escalation of something that was already there.

And I appreciated that the movie doesn't completely lose its sense of humor either. The pickled garlic moment is a perfect example. In the middle of all this horror, it is almost ridiculous.

And honestly? I'm glad it is there.

Sometimes a little absurdity makes a horror movie more enjoyable.

A strange way of talking about freedom

What makes Sinners particularly interesting is that it uses vampires to talk about things that are much more real.

Freedom is one of the biggest ideas running through the film.

The characters want freedom from racism, poverty, expectations, and the lives chosen for them. Music offers one kind of freedom. The juke joint offers another.

And then the vampires offer their own version of freedom.

That is where things get really interesting.

The vampires can promise escape from some of the limitations of human life. They offer immortality and a kind of community without the same racial boundaries that define the human world.

But there is a price, and that makes the supernatural side of the story feel less random than it initially seemed.

And then there is Sammie

Sammie (Miles Caton) was probably the character I cared about most.

He keeps going. Even after everything that happens, even after the violence and the horror, he continues with the music. That's admirable.

Sinners isn't ultimately a film about having a perfect life. It is about what we do with the life we have.

The ending especially made me think about that.

Even the worst day of our lives can contain something good.

That night is horrific. People die. Lives are changed forever. But it is also the night Sammie discovers something about himself and his music that he cannot simply forget.

Years later, he is still playing. The experience became part of him.

It shouldn't work. But it does.

If someone had told me beforehand that I was going to watch a movie mixing racism, the history of Black America, freedom, blues music, mysticism, and vampires, I probably would have wondered how on earth that was supposed to work.

And yet Sinners surprised me.

I like being surprised by a movie. Even when something initially makes no sense, I would rather watch a film that takes a strange risk than one that gives me exactly what I expect.

Sinners is strange. Sometimes it is violent, sometimes beautiful, sometimes funny, sometimes disturbing, and sometimes almost mystical.

But above everything else, it has music.

And that music is incredible.

The cinematography is beautiful; it gives the whole film a dreamlike quality that fits perfectly with the way it moves between history, reality, and supernatural horror.

I didn't expect to love Sinners as much as I did, but somehow this strange mix of vampires and serious ideas about racism, freedom, culture, and identity worked for me.

Sometimes the strangest stories are the ones that manage to say something real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmaid’s Tale – From Brilliant to Frustrating

  When The Handmaid’s Tale first aired, it felt sharp, terrifying, and painfully necessary. I wrote about the first season as a dark and brilliant adaptation, one that used restraint, symbolism, and dread to tell its story. Now that I've finished the third season, my opinion has shifted — not wholly, but noticeably. The show is still good . Sometimes very good. But it also became frustrating, uneven, and less powerful than it could have been. June Osborne: From Survivor to Exhaustion Let’s talk about June (Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men ). I understand the idea behind her arc. She was meant to evolve — to become more confident, more assertive, more dangerous. A woman shaped by trauma who stops surviving and starts fighting back. On paper, it makes sense. On screen, however, it often doesn’t work. June becomes reckless to the point of irresponsibility. She repeatedly puts others in danger without seeming to fully care about who might be caught in the crossfire. Her actions feel impuls...

Grief in the Shadows: Why 'The Silencing' Stands Out

  A moody thriller about grief, violence, and how far we go for the ones we love. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ( Game of Thrones ) is Rayburn Swanson , a former hunter who now lives in isolation, running a wildlife sanctuary named after his missing daughter. Years after she vanished, Rayburn is just barely functioning—haunted, grieving, and clinging to the hope that she might still return. When a murdered girl turns up in the woods with eerie similarities to his daughter's disappearance, the local sheriff, Alice Gustafson ( Annabelle Wallis ), launches an investigation. Rayburn, meanwhile, accidentally crosses paths with a mysterious masked figure hunting a girl on his land. This encounter pulls him into the heart of the case in ways he never expected. The investigation twists, misleads, and slowly unravels, building toward a reveal that isn’t obvious—and intentionally so. Nothing is as straightforward as it seems. Themes of Grief and Family What makes The Silencing compelling is...

Gangsta Granny – Hilarious and Surprisingly Moving

  I have a ten-year-old daughter, and one thing we like to do is read the same books so we can talk about them afterward. Gangsta Granny was a birthday gift for her, and she read it so quickly that it immediately made me curious. When a child finishes a book that fast, you know something is working. When I finally read it myself, I was pleasantly surprised — and completely charmed. A Story That Is Funny and Moving At first glance, Gangsta Granny is a crazy, over-the-top, and very funny story. David Walliams clearly knows how to make children laugh, using absurd situations, exaggerated characters, and a fast-moving plot that keeps young readers hooked. But beneath the humour, the book is also sweet, touching, and emotionally rich. What starts as a wild adventure slowly reveals a story about family, loneliness, empathy, and learning to truly see the people around us. This balance reminded me of Roald Dahl’s books , where outrageous humour and emotional depth coexist effortles...